Thursday, November 11, 2010

Edie & Thea

Someone sent me a link that I want to share here. 
Edie Windor and the ACLU Challenge the "Defense of Marraige Act"

Edith "Edie" Windsor, who shared her life with her late spouse, Thea Spyer, for 44 years, filed a lawsuit against the federal government for refusing to recognize their marriage. The lawsuit challenges the constitutionality of the "Defense of Marriage Act", a federal statute that defines marriage for all federal purposes as a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife. Windsor and Spyer were married in Canada in 2007 and were considered married by their home state of New York.



I think Edie tells it better than I possibly could in her video clip.  Please watch it. 

2 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

It is all so sad. I just re-watched If These Walls Could Talk II with Vanessa Redgrave as the partner left behind and her deceased partner's family showing up to take away all her memory-objects/house, that she shared with her loved one. 1961. I think about my great aunt and her companion from age 16 to death. Same thing, family came in at end and my aunt swept out of the picture, not even allowed at her death bed. My partner and I have all the legal docs and no family who gives a damn about us anyway. If she died tomorrow, her only sister and nieces wouldn't call for a year. They might never know, unless *I* decide to tell them. But for all the seniors and the ill among us, all so sad---time is running out. For us, we are little more than a footnote in history books, when the slavery of our souls is described to those who wil tsk tsk, maybe shed a tear. Those who take the faith of the Bibles to heart, DEMAND science to prove what gay people know--we were born this way. We are not sub-humans or sick in the head. To all who KNOW us, we ARE married. We do not need that paper in the liberal city we live in, but my Social Security should go to her and THAT makes me mad. THAT is inequality in the home of the "some free, sometimes." At 23, I would have liked that family wedding, the extra toasters, that dance...too late now.

MS Day Dreamer said...

Yes, it is all so sad.
I've seen the movie you mentioned, that was sad. I'm sure it would leave you feeling so alone and helpless. Thrown out of your own home. Not allowed to spend the last days with your partner.
It is all so wrong.
M & I also have papers in order, etc. I don't think we would have any issues with family. But there is still legal issues and inheritances to deal with. That all seems so unfair as well.
It makes me sad, and angry, and a little afraid.
why so much hate in the world? A lot in the name of religion.
And the excuses used? for why we shouldn't be allowed the same rights? shameful.